CILIP Local Studies conference Monday 9 July 2018, 10:00 – 16:30, University of Leicester Library
The University Library would like to invite you to the CILIP Local Studies conference that we are hosting on 9 July. The theme this year is oral history and sound collections, reflecting Leicester’s strengths in area, and future involvement in the Unlocking Our Sound Heritage project. Students and supporters are also encouraged to attend.
At lunch, we will be presenting the Alan Ball Award for local history publishing. We would very much like to have a member of the Centre (possibly the Director?) present the award, if possible. The winners this year are Spratton Local History Society, for their website, and Wigan Archives, for Miss Weeton, Governess and Traveller. Do let me know if you would be able to make it. We will have room for banners and leaflets that the Centre and the Friends might like promote to attendees (who will be a mix of librarians, archivists and community groups).
This year’s CILIP Local Studies conference focuses on oral history. Hosted by the University of Leicester Library, our conference is for anyone involved in oral history and sound collections, or who would like to work in this area in the future. The program is designed to help you keep up to date with best practice, find out about new initiatives, and meet other people in this field.
- Introducing Unlocking Our Sound Heritage - Sue Davies, British Library
- Running an oral history project - Colin Hyde, East Midlands Oral History Archive
- Tour of the University of Leicester Library’s Special Collections & Sound Heritage project facilities
- Oral history and communities - Stephanie Nield, Leonard Cheshire Archive & Ahmed Iqbal Ullah Race Relations Resource Centre, University of Manchester.
- Cataloguing oral history and sound collections. British Library
As part of the event, we will be inviting interest in a local studies network for librarians, archivists and heritage professionals in the Midlands.
Tickets cost £30 + VAT & Handling fee for CILIP members and £40 + VAT & Handling fee for non-CILIP members. Please book tickets via Eventbrite.
There some free places available for Leicester staff and students. Please e-mail an expression of interest as soon as you can.